Complaints Management Process

Complaints Management

Council is committed to managing customer feedback and ensuring all complaints are dealt with in a fair, prompt and confidential manner. If you have a complaint about the Winton Shire Council, we would like to hear about it. We always want to do things better, if we can. 

Administrative Action Complaints

Council has in place a formal "administrative action complaints process”, which provides customers with the opportunity to request a review of administrative decisions made by Council officers or Council where there are no other formal appeal provisions available under legislation or within Council. An administrative action may include a decision, or a failure to make a decision, a failure to provide a written statement of reasons for a decision, an act, a failure to do an act, the formulation of a proposal or intention, or the making of a recommendation.

This complaints process is not about raising a "request for service", these should be made directly to Council’s customer service team.

Administrative matters relate to the actions or decisions made by council administration, but do not include:

  • Requests for information
  • Requests for service (where you want Council to take action in relation to a service or product provided by Council eg, a barking dog, leaking water pipe, pot hole, road maintenance, etc)
  • Suggestions, enquiries or petitions
  • Comments submitted during a formal consultation or negotiation processes
  • Councillor conduct

Section 268(2) of the Local Government Act 2009 defines an ‘administrative action complaint’ as a complaint that:

(a) Is about an administrative action of a local government, including the following, for example –
(i) A decision, or a failure to make a decision, including a failure to provide a written statement of reasons for a decision;
(ii) An act, or failure to do an act;
(iii) The formulation of a proposal or intention;
(iv) The making of a recommendation; and
(b) Is made by an affected person.

To lodge a complaint, please complete and submit the online form below. Alternatively, you may lodge a complaint via one of the following methods:

  • email a completed Complaint Form to
  • visit Council Office to lodge your complaint in person
  • or print and complete the Complaint Form and post to PO Box 288, Winton QLD 4735.
    (Please note an anonymous form may be lodged via post)

Other Important Information