Responsible Dog Ownership


Helpful hints for dog owners

Owning a dog should be a rewarding and enjoyable experience, however there are many responsibilities that come with the job. Your dog depends on you for its care and control.

Dog Management Laws

Winton Shire Council has Local Laws to regulate the keeping of dogs (Keeping and Control of Animals) Local Law No.6. The object of the Local Laws aims to:

  • Protect the community against the risk of injury and damage.
  • Ensure dogs do not create a nuisance or hazard to health and safety.
  • Ensure that dogs are kept and used in a way that is consistent with the rights and expectations of the community.
  • Prevent pollution and other environmental damage resulting from keeping a dog and to protect the amenity of the local environment.

Division 3 Duty to Provide Proper Enclosure

If an animal is found wandering at large the owner of the animal is taken to have committed an offence and can receive a fine of a Maximum of 20 penalty units.

Division 4 Nuisances etc

A person must not keep an animal on land if –

  • The animal causes a nuisance eg. barking dog; or
  • The animal exposes the health or safety of others to significant risk; or
  • The animal creates a reasonable apprehension in the minds of others of a threat to their health or safety.

A person who fails to comply with a notice under Section 25.(3) of this local law within the time allowed in the notice can receive a Maximum fine of 50 penalty units.

Number of Penalty Units

Fine Amount

1 penalty unit $133.00
2 penalty units $266.00
4 penalty units $533.00
5 penalty units $667.00
10 penalty units $1,334.00
20 penalty units $2,669.00
30 penalty units $4,003.00
40 penalty units $5,338.00
50 penalty units $6,672.00

Number of Dogs

There are restrictions on the number of dogs you can keep on your property. The Winton Shire Council allows you to keep no more than 2 dogs. If you have more, or would like more dogs than the restricted amount, you will need to contact Council to obtain a permit.

Dog Registration

In accordance with the Animal Management (Cats & Dogs) Act 2008 all dogs must be registered with Council. Registrations are effective from 1 July to 30 June each year. Discounts apply for desexed dogs, first dog and pensioners.

What if my dog is impounded?

If your dog has been wandering it may have been collected or handed in to Council. Straying dogs are impounded and can be released upon payment of fees. See Council’s fees and charges.

Registering as a Dog Breeder

Anyone who breeds a dog needs to register as a dog breeder, unless they are a breeder of genuine working dogs. You have to register as a dog breeder, even if:

  • You only want your dog to have one litter.
  • Your puppies are well looked after and in a safe environment.
  • You don’t sell the puppies but give them away to family and friends.
  • Your dog has had an unplanned litter.

People are encouraged to only buy dogs that have a Supply Number. There are penalties if you breed a dog and do not register. You will not be able to sell, advertise or give away a dog legally if you do not have a supply number. Further information is available by following the link to the Queensland Dog Breeders Web Site -

Dog Attacks

A dog attack is a very serious matter. If your dog attacks a person, or another animal, you will be held responsible even if you are not present at the time. The only exemption is where the dog was provoked to attack. A dog attack includes a dog aggressively rushing at or attempting to attack a person or animal, as well as tearing clothing, biting or causing physical injury.

Tips to be a responsible dog owner

  • Register your dog from 3 months of age.
  • Microchip your dog.
  • Keep your dog on a lead if in public.
  • Vaccinate your dog and treat for heartworm.
  • Keep your dog cool in summer.
  • Provide adequate enclosure.
  • Don’t let your dog wander at large.
  • Don’t allow your dog to create a nuisance by barking incessantly.


For more information phone Winton Shire Council on (07) 4657 2666 or to download a brochure including the above information click here.